Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Resolutions aren't just for January 1, apparently

So I somehow talked my friend Tina into doing the Resolution Run as her first 5k race. Okay, to be fair, I can only take half the credit (and corresponding blame); I mentioned it, she pretty much talked herself into it. This is all great. Tina and I both run about a half-hour 5k, so we can pace each other. Her husband, who's also signed up, is a little more accomplished, and should be warm and dry and sucking back hot chocolate by the time we see the clock.

Problem is, the Resolution Run, which is on January1 pretty much everywhere else they run it in North America, is actually on December 26 in Toronto. This we did not discover until Tina registered. With Tina and James in, I was kinda obliged to do the 26th, too.

January 1 would have been perfect. I'm not much of a New Years' reveler. I don't like the holiday, to be honest, and I like it less as I get older. Let's celebrate another year passing! Sure, buddy, just wait till you've got as few of 'em left as I do.

(And much like St. Patrick's Day, it's what my friend Simon calls "Amateur Night." I'm much more comfortable around the professional drinkers; they're less unpredictable.)

Whereas at Christmas, my family tends to eat. Lots. I'm not going to be crossing the finish line alone; there'll be a good fraction of a turkey and a not inconsiderable amount of ham accompanying me. The wine and beer will surely have evacuated, but their ghosts will linger, if you know what I mean.

I'll also have to come back into Toronto Christmas night, which may be a bit of a pain, but it's a blessing, too. It'll mean a couple fewer beers, a few less Yorkshire puddings, and maybe a fighting chance to start the race feeling like I can finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment