Monday, April 19, 2010

Magic powders

After my run on Friday, I met a friend for drinks and a bite to eat. A deliriously good time, since we hadn't seen each other for months. And Michelle is a swimming addict, so she had some technique tips that'll be helpful, if I ever make it back to a front crawl.

Michelle: Which side do you breathe on?
Me: I'm supposed to breathe on both.
Michelle: No. *I'm* supposed to breathe on both sides. *You* choose one.

The point being to lengthen the stroke while exhaling just before getting my head out of the water to breathe.

Not my point, however. I skipped my routine Epsom salts bath, and felt it in the morning.

I don't know the science behind Epsom salts. I only know their magical properties. They soothe aching muscles. Grime slips from the side of the tub to be easily wiped away. And, in a really rough spot, added to water, it's an effective laxative. (Never used it for the latter, but you must have heard the expression: "It went through me like a dose of salts.")

Today was weights and core, since I ran yesterday, down to the beach and (most of the way) back, and I'll be spending tomorrow night in a hotel in Ottawa for a work event, and swimming is the most likely exercise option. The abs and obliques, especially, were threatening revolt. A salts bath put down that insurrection.

There's another magic powder I've been using lately. I'd noticed that deodorants left me stinging under the pits after a workout, so I switched to a medicated talc. There's something luxurious about a midday shower followed by a dusting of talc and fresh socks and underwear.

Don't know if you've ever watched Pardon the Interruption, a sports talk show on ESPN. Back when Quantum of Solace was released, co-host Michael Wilbon asked partner-in-crime Tony Kornheiser who his favourite Bond was. "Gold Bond powder. Right up my bidness," Kornheiser replied. ("I don't even know what that means. They make me say this stuff," Kornheiser said afterward.)

No comments:

Post a Comment