Friday, April 16, 2010

Taking stock of Week 3

Much more confident now than at the end of last week.

On the running front, did a 15-minute session that covered 2k on Tuesday. Then, on Friday, did a 15-minute session that covered 2.5k. I managed to increase my pace substantially with only a swimming session and a rest session between. And 2.5k is the running distance of the event.

Swimming-wise, I've gone from petrified to comfortable. I managed 100m uninterrupted, which is the minimum I had to achieve before starting on the training program proper. And it's still another five weeks till that begins.

There's still a long way to go in the next 17 weeks. Brian did a brick today. As my First Time Triathlon app takes glee in telling me, in several different contexts, it's called a brick not only because you stack a run workout on top of a bike workout, but also because your legs feel like bricks afterward. In any event, Brian did 10k on the stationary bike, then followed it with a 2.5k run on the track, matching the race distances. I'm a ways from doing that, but let's face it -- I've given him a 20-year head start.

But I'm pleased by where it stands right now, considering where it stood three weeks ago. Maybe a short ride early tomorrow, before I do 8k of errands. Sunday I might run out to Cherry Beach to check out what's there.

Cherry looks like the best opportunity for re-introducing myself to open water swimming, shallow, warm and well-lifeguarded, by reputation. Also apparently one of the cleaner beaches in Toronto. It's not like I'm going swimming out there anytime soon -- it's April, for the love of Gord, I'm not crazy. But this is the first time in my life, I think, I've chosen running as a method of travel from Point A to Point B. It'll also be the first street run I've ever done. I have changed. I'm still not addicted to running -- it's still an overwhelming effort -- but I can see it coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment