Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pre-training begins

Having never run even a short triathlon before, I obviously need a training regimen. (Even if I had, I'd need one, but at least I'd know what worked and what didn't; I need a little guidance.) Turns out, there's an app for that.

Actually, there are several in the iPhone App Store. I settled on First Time Triathlon ($9.99, from JammyCo). Based on your proficiency at each of the events (beginner or intermediate) and your race date, the app maps out a 12-week training schedule. It's fairly simple: swim x metres, run or bike x number of minutes. There's not much detail in terms of drills.


Which is probably good. I've got some issues on the swimming front that'll require specific workouts, so the app's schedule will be more of a guideline than anything.


With a race date of Aug. 14, the training program begins in mid-May, which is also good. The app is designed with a certain minimum standard of fitness involved. Essentially, you have to be able to swim 100 metres and run a mile without weeping, and I'm not convinced I can do that right now. Thus begins the training for the training.


It started today with a running workout. a 400-m warm-up at a VERY slow pace -- tiny old men were passing me, and they were in the walking lane -- a good round of stretching, some leg extensions and curls for my knee issues (more on that another time), and then a 1-km run at about a five-minute pace. Not exactly Olympic calibre, but I'll take it. The a 200-m walk to cool down. (Thankfully, when I got pack to the office, Kathleen reminded me to stretch *after* exercise as well.)


And I feel great. For a while, I would have killed for a cigarette, but it passed. The test will be if I can haul my sorry ass out of bed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment